[bitcoin-dev] I do not support the BIP 148 UASF

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Fri Apr 14 19:20:39 UTC 2017

On Friday, 14 April 2017 09:56:31 CEST Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev
wrote:
> Segwit was carefully engineered so that older unmodified miners could
> continue operating _completely_ without interruption after segwit
> activates.

> They [Older nodes] can
> upgrade to it [segwit] on their own schedule. The only risk
> non-participating
> miners take after segwit activation is that if someone else mines an
> invalid block they would extend it,

This is false,

a segwit transaction to the miner you describe is an "everyone can spend"
transaction, and as such a miner that does not validate the segregated area
in a post-segwit world will be able to create blocks that will not validate
for segwit miners by including a transaction that spends a SW tx.

This would then lead to a chain-fork as the SW miners reject it and the non-
SW miners continue to mine on it.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io