[bitcoin-dev] Transaction signalling

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Tue Apr 18 18:01:52 UTC 2017

Just to be clear, the tagging would occur on the addresses, and the
weighting would be by value, so it's a measure of economic significance.
Major exchanges will regularly tag massive amounts of Bitcoins with their
capabilities.

Just adding a nice bit-field and a tagging standard, and then charting it
might be enough to "think about how to use it later".   The only problem
would be that this would interfere with "other uses of op_return" ...
colored coins, etc.

Personally, I think that's OK, since the purpose is to tag economically
meaningful nodes to the Bitcoin ecosystem and colored coins, by definition,
only have value to "other ecosystems".

(Counterargument: Suppose in some future where this is used as an
alternative to BIP9 for a user-coordinated code release - especially in
situations where miners have rejected activation of a widely-regarded
proposal.  Suppose also, in that future, colored coin ICO's that use
op-return are regularly used to float the shares of major corporation.  It
might be irresponsible to exclude them from coordinating protocol changes.)