[bitcoin-dev] Small Nodes: A Better Alternative to Pruned Nodes

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 23:19:04 UTC 2017

>From the initial post " The situation would likely become problematic
quickly if bitcoin-core were to ship with the defaults set to a pruned
node."

Sorry to be straight, I read the (painful) thread below, and most of
what is in there is inept, wrong, obsolete... or biased, cf the first
sentence above, if the idea is to invent a workaround to the fact that
pruning might/will become the default or might/will be set by the users
as the default so full nodes might/will disappear then just say it
clearly instead of proposing this kind of non-solution as a solution to
secure the blockchain

I can't believe this is serious, people now are supposed to prune but
will be forced to host a part of the blockchain, how do you expect this
to work, why people would do this? Knowing that to start pruning they
need a full node, then since we are there, why not continuing with a
full node... but indeed, why should they continue with a full node, and
therefore why should they accept to host a part of the blockchain if
they decline the first proposal?

This is absurd, you are not addressing the first priority given the
context which is to quickly increase the full nodes and which obviously
includes an incentive for people to run them

It gives also the feeling that bitcoin wants to reinvent everything not
capitalizing on/knowing what exists, sorry again but the concepts of the
proposal and others like archival nodes are just funny

Zcash wallets made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/zcash-wallets
Bitcoin wallets made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-wallets
Get the torrent dynamic blocklist: http://peersm.com/getblocklist
Check the 10 M passwords list: http://peersm.com/findmyass