[bitcoin-dev] Small Nodes: A Better Alternative to Pruned Nodes

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Thu Apr 20 09:46:33 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 19:30:30 CEST David Vorick via bitcoin-dev
wrote:
> > I suggested something similar which is a much simpler version;
> > https://zander.github.io/scaling/Pruning/

> Your proposal has a significant disadvantage: If every peer is dropping
> 75% of all blocks randomly, then you need to connect to a large number of
> peers to download the whole blockchain.
> If you are downloading 450,000 blocks, you will need to
> connect to an expected 46 peers to download the whole blockchain.

I don’t really see the problem here, even if your math is a off. (Statistics
is difficult, I know). Connecting to many nodes to download faster is really
not an issue and already happens.

> Your proposal is also a lot less able to handle active adversaries: if
> nodes are randomly dropping blocks, the probability that one block in
> particular is dropped by everyone goes up significantly.

You make the assumption that this new mode of pruning will be used by 100%
of the network, this is not how distributed systems work.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io