[bitcoin-dev] I do not support the BIP 148 UASF

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Thu Apr 20 15:48:21 UTC 2017

Bitcoin must level the playing field for mining or it is fundamentally
broken.   And there are two obvious solutions:

1. WTXID commitment has as a flag day upgrade. It's a fix to a fairly
serious security issue - made even worse by the existence of patents on the
code.

2. Embed the code for performing a covert ASICBOOST into Bitcoin core's
reference implementation.   But, since this would violate patents held in
China and the U.S., it could be a problem.

Of these, I think the first should be far less controversial.

One or the other must be done - if we can't fix security and licensing
problems in Bitcoin, what can we fix?