[bitcoin-dev] UTXO growth scaling solution proposal

Rodney Morris rodney.morris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 22:58:54 UTC 2017

Thomas et.al.

So, in your minds, anyone who locked up coins using CLTV for their child to
receive on their 21st birthday, for the sake of argument, has effectively
forfeit those coins after the fact?  You are going to force anyone who took
coins offline (cryptosteel, paper, doesn't matter) to bring those coins
back online, with the inherent security risks?

In my mind, the only sane way to even begin discussing an approach
implementing such a thing - where coins "expire" after X years - would be
to give the entire ecosystem X*N years warning, where N > 1.5.  I'd also
suggest X would need to be closer to the life span of a human than zero.
Mind you, I'd suggest this "feature" would need to be coded and deployed as
a future-hard-fork X*N years ahead of time.  A-la Satoshi's blog post
regarding increasing block size limit, a good enough approximation would be
to add a block height check to the code that approximates X*N years, based
on 10 minute blocks.  The transparency around such a change would need to
be radical and absolute.

I'd also suggest that, similar to CLTV, it only makes sense to discuss
creating a "never expire" transaction output, if such a feature were being
seriously considered.

If you think discussions around a block size increase were difficult, then
we'll need a new word to describe the challenges and vitriol that would
arise in arguments that will follow this discussion should it be seriously
proposed, IMHO.

I also don't think it's reasonable to conflate the discussion herein with
discussion about what to do when ECC or SHA256 is broken.  The
weakening/breaking of ECC poses a real risk to the stability of Bitcoin -
the possible release of Satoshi's stash being the most obvious example -
and what to do about that will require serious consideration when the time
comes.  Even if the end result is the same - that coins older than "X" will
be invalidated - everything else important about the scenarios are
different as far as I can see.

Rodney