[bitcoin-dev] Solving the Scalability Problem on Bitcoin

Matthew Beton matthew.beton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:19:25 UTC 2017

I think a slight problem with this is that wallets (often ones made by
third party wallet software) do not fully empty. I don't know how often
this happens, but some wallets, even if you tell them to send all funds,
leave a small fraction of bitcoin remaining. If this is the case, it could
be detrimental to the 'pruning idea', as wallets with any coins left cannot
be pruned. For example:

A has 1 BTC
A -> B -> C
If these wallets are not removing all the BTC, and a fraction is left over,
B will not be able to be pruned out of the chain. On the other hand, of the
wallets are completely emptied, the new 'pruned block' will be able to show
A sending 1btc to C.

This could be a problem, and so we need a way to persuade people to get
their wallets to send everything instead of leaving a small fraction left
over. I don't know how problematic this could be, or how frequently this
happens, but I'm just putting it out there.