[bitcoin-dev] Fwd: "Compressed" headers stream

Kalle Rosenbaum kalle at rosenbaum.se
Mon Aug 28 17:54:59 UTC 2017

bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>:

> The bits field can only change every 2016 blocks (4 bytes per header),
> the timestamp can not be less than the median of the last 11 and is
> usually only a small amount over the last one (saves 2 bytes per
> header), the block version is usually one of the last few (save 3
> bytes per header).

 ... and I guess the nonce can be arbitrarily truncated as well, just brute
force the missing bits :-P.

> But all these things improvements are just a constant factor. I think
> you want the compact SPV proofs described in the appendix of the
> sidechains whitepaper which creates log scaling proofs.

I think that my blog post on compact spv proofs can be helpful also. It
tries to make the pretty compact formulations in the sidechains paper a bit
more graspable by normal people.

http://popeller.io/index.php/2016/09/15/compact-spv-proofs/

Kalle