[bitcoin-dev] A DNS-like decentralized mapping for wallet addresses?

Douglas Roark joroark at vt.edu
Fri Dec 1 03:08:24 UTC 2017

On 2017/11/30 14:20, mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
> addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping
> service to provide a user at crypto address?

A few years ago, I was part of an effort with Armory and Verisign to
make something similar to what you're describing.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wiley-paymentassoc-00 is where you can
find the one and only official draft. I worked on a follow-up with some
changes and some nice appendices, explaining some nice tricks one could
use to make payment management flexible. For various reasons, it never
got published. I think it's an interesting draft that could be turned
into something useful. Among other things, it was able to leverage BIP32
and allow payment requests to be generated that automatically pointed
payees to the correct branch. DNSSEC may have some issues but, AFAIK,
it's as the easiest way to bootstrap identity to a common, reasonably
secure standard.

--
---
Douglas Roark