[bitcoin-dev] Why not witnessless nodes?

Kalle Rosenbaum kalle at rosenbaum.se
Mon Dec 18 13:35:44 UTC 2017

> > On Dec 18, 2017, at 03:32, Kalle Rosenbaum via bitcoin-dev <
> >
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I find it hard to understand why a full node that does initial block
> > download also must download witnesses if they are going to skip
> verification anyway.
>
> Why run a full node if you are not going to verify the chain?

I meant to say "I find it hard to understand why a full node that does
initial block
download also must download witnesses when it is going to skip verification
of the witnesses anyway."

I'm referring to the "assumevalid" feature of Bitcoin Core that skips
signature verification up to block X. Or have I misunderstood assumevalid?

/Kalle