[bitcoin-dev] Clarification about SegWit transaction size and bech32

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Mon Dec 18 17:38:01 UTC 2017

Addresses are entirely a user-interface issue. They don’t factor into the bitcoin protocol at all.

The bitcoin protocol doesn’t have addresses. It has a generic programmable signature framework called script. Addresses are merely a UI convention for representing common script templates. 1.. addresses and 3… addresses have script templates that are not as optimal as could be constructed with post-segwit assumptions. The newer bech32 address just uses a different underlying template that achieves better security guarantees (for pay-to-script) or lower fees (for pay-to-pubkey-hash). But this is really a UI/UX issue.

A “fork” in bitcoin-like consensus systems has a very specific meaning. Changing address formats is not a fork, soft or hard.

There are many benefits to segregated witness. You may find this page helpful:

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/ <https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/>