[bitcoin-dev] Clarification about SegWit transaction size and bech32

mail at albertodeluigi.com mail at albertodeluigi.com
Mon Dec 18 22:19:34 UTC 2017

Mark,
suppose I am an average user. Give me a bech32 address and ask me to
send a few coins there. I am 100% sure you will never receive my coins.
I will call you back saying: "Mark, sorry, I tried with three different
wallets, but it seems what you gave me is not a bitcoin address!"

My point is: we want SegWit is used and implemented more and more by the
community. But if besides malleability fix, the main effect of sw
adoption is this:

1) The blockahin is heavier (transactions require more space)
2) the fee is smaller only for some kind of tx
3) the transactions of the exchanges, which aggregate outputs, would be
heavier and pay a higher fee using segwit!

then how can we expect people, exchanges and services to adopt segwit?

Thank you,
Alberto De Luigi