[bitcoin-dev] BIP-21 amendment proposal: -no125

Paul Iverson piverson1024 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 18:33:21 UTC 2017

Allowing a "no-RBF" flag serves only to fool new users into believing that
0-conf is more secure than it is. There is already too much confusion about
this point.

In Bitcoin was assume that miners are profit-maximizing agents, and so we
must assume that (flag or not) miners will replace transactions from
mempool with conflicts paying a higher fee. From that viewpoint, full RBF
is already "de facto" policy in Bitcoin. So I agree with Luke and Peter:
remove the flag and make all transactions RBF as "de jure" policy too.

At the same time, we need more outreach and education to clarify the risks
of 0-conf, and we need to show miners how they can earn more profits by
adopting full RBF.

Paul.

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev <