[bitcoin-dev] [Pre-BIP] Community Consensus Voting System

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Feb 3 00:24:09 UTC 2017

Strongly disagree with buying "votes", or portraying open standards as a
voting process. Also, this depends on address reuse, so it's fundamentally
flawed in design.

Some way for people to express their support weighed by coins (without
losing/spending them), and possibly weighed by running a full node, might
still be desirable. The most straightforward way to do this is to support
message signatures somehow (ideally without using the same pubkey as
spending), and some [inherently unreliable, but perhaps useful if the
community "colludes" to not-cheat] way to sign with ones' full node.

Note also that the BIP process already has BIP Comments for leaving textual
opinions on the BIP unrelated to stake. See BIP 2 for details on that.

Luke