[bitcoin-dev] A Modified Version of Luke-jr's Block Size BIP

alp alp alp.bitcoin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:13:18 UTC 2017

>Only the majority needs to consent, though what is considered a majority
varies depending on the context (95%, 75%, 51%). Nowhere does it say
"everyone needs to agree".

There's a pretty huge gap between 90% and nearly 100%.  90% excluding 10%
only 7 times results in only 48% of the original base.

>If a small dissenting minority can block all forward progress then bitcoin
is no longer interesting.

Your definition of forward may be different than other users.

>Is that really the bitcoin that you want to be a part of?

Yes, I chose Bitcoin because it relies on a strictly held consensus
mechanism and not one that changes on the whims of the majority.  We have
tens of dozens of political currencies for that.

>When the 1MB cap was implemented it was stated specifically that we could
increase it when we needed it.  The white paper even talks about scaling to
huge capacity.  Not sure where you got the idea that we all agreed to stay
at 1MB forever, I certainly didn't.  It was never stated or implied that we
could change the coin cap later(please cite if I'm mistaken).

The community has not agreed that it is needed at this time.  Perhaps they
will change their mind at some point in the future.  We have also learned a
great deal since the publication of the initial whitepaper, such as the
unstable state without a backlog or subsidy.  Fortunately, participation in
this system is voluntary, and you are free to leave at any time.

This seems to be venturing quite off topic, and perhaps would be better
suited for the bitcoin-discuss list.