[bitcoin-dev] BIP151 protocol incompatibility

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Tue Feb 14 19:54:37 UTC 2017

On 02/13/2017 03:14 AM, Jonas Schnelli wrote:
>>> Look at feefilter BIP 133
>>> (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0133.mediawiki#backward-compatibility)
>>> or sendheaders BIP130
>>> (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0130.mediawiki#backward-compatibility)
>>> Isn't it the same there?
>> No. This is what I was referring to. These messages are enabled by
>> protocol version. If they are received by a node below the version at
>> which they are activated, they are unknown messages, implying an invalid
>> peer. The above messages cannot be sent until *after* the version is
>> negotiated. BIP151 violates this rule by allowing the new control
>> message to be sent *before* the version handshake.

> This indeed is not ideal for compatibility checks, but increases security.

The issue I raised is that it is not backward compatible. It sounds like
you agree but consider it a fair trade. My suggesting was that the BIP
be updated to reflect the lack of compatibility.

> I could not find a protocol specification that said communication must
> be terminated when messages are transmitted before the version handshake
> has been done.

It doesn't need to be specified, most of Bitcoin is unspecified. The
version handshake establishes the negotiated version. It is not possible
to determine if a message is of the negotiated version before the
version is negotiated. All messages apart from this one have followed
that rule.

> Also. BIP151 clearly says that the requesting peer needs to initiate the
> encryption (encinit).

An incoming connection will be dropped due to invalid protocol and
potentially banned depending on the implementation.

> In case of light clients not supporting BIP151 connecting to peers
> supporting BIP151, there should never be transmission of new message
> types specified in BIP151.

Not working with peers not supporting BIP151 is the compatibility issue.
But it sort of seems the intent in this case is to rely on that
incompatibility (expecting connections to nonsupporting peers to fail as
opposed to negotiating).

>>> Once BIP151 is implemented, it would make sense to bump the protocol
>>> version, but this needs to be done once this has been
>>> implemented/deployed.
>> There are already nodes out there breaking connections based on the BIP.

> It could very likely be possible that the initial responding peer tries
> to initiate a encryption session which would mean that BIP151 was not
> implemented correctly.
> Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I did consider the possibility, but there's this:

"Encryption initialization must happen before sending any other messages
to the responding peer (encinit message after a version message must be
ignored)."

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0151.mediawiki#specification

The BIP does not define "responding" and "requesting" peers, but:

"A peer that supports encryption must accept encryption requests from
all peers... The responding peer accepts the encryption request by
sending a encack message."

This implies the requesting peer is the peer that sends the message. You
seem to be saying that the requesting peer is the one that initiated
the connection and the responding peer is the connection receiver. If
this is the case it should be more clearly documented. But in the
case I experienced the "requester" of an encrypted session was also
the "receiver" of the connection.

>>> Or do I make a mistake somewhere?
>> Yes, the ordering of the messages. New messages can only be added after
>> the handshake negotiates the higher version. Otherwise the handshake is
>> both irrelevant (as Pieter is implying) and broken (for all existing
>> protocol versions).

> I could not find evidence of the protocol specification that would
> forbid (=terminate connection) such messages and I think allowing
> unknown-messages before the version handshake makes the protocol flexible.

Flexible is certainly one word for it. Another way to describe it is
dirty. Allowing invalid messages in a protocol encourages protocol
incompatibility. You end up with various implementations and eventually
have no way of knowing how they are impacted by changes. There could be
a range of peers inter-operating with the full network while running
their own sub-protocols. Given the network is public and strong
identification of peers is undesirable, the invalid messages would
reasonably just get sent to everyone. So over time, what is the
protocol? Due to certain "flexibility" it is already a hassle to
properly implement.

> Are there any reasons we should drop peers if they send us unknown, but
> correctly formatted p2p packages (magic, checksum, etc.) before the
> version handshake, ... but not drop them if we have received unknown
> messages after the version handshake?

There is no reason to treat invalid messages differently based on where
they occur in the communication. After the handshake the agreed version
is known to both peers. As a result there is never a reason for an
invalid message to be sent. Therefore it is always proper to drop a peer
that sends an invalid message.

> I can't see that a such spec. would reduce the DOS attack vector?

This was previously addressed (immediately below).

>>> How do you threat any other not known message types?
>> You may be more familiar with non-validating peers. If a message type is
>> not known it is an invalid message and the peer is immediately dropped.
>> We started seeing early drops in handshakes with bcoin nodes because of
>> this issue.

> If this had happened, it's very likely because the responding peer tried
> to initiate a encryption session which is against BIP151 specs.

See above.

>>> Any peer can send you any type of message anytime.
>> Sure, a peer can do what it wants. It can send photos. But I'm not sure
>> what makes you think it would be correct to maintain the connection when
>> an *invalid* message is received.

> Check:
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/a06ede9a138d0fb86b0de17c42b936d9fe6e2158/src/net_processing.cpp#L2595
> I think it was a wise implementation decision to allow unknown (not
> invalid) messages.
> This had allowed us to deploy stuff like compact blocks, feefilter, etc.
> without breaking backward compatibility.
> IMO, without a such flexibility, the deployment complexity would be
> irresponsible high without really solving the DOS problem.

This is a misinterpretation. The failure to validate did not enable
anything except possibly some broken peers not getting dropped. None of
the protocol changes previously deployed require the older version peer
to allow invalid messages. While it may appear otherwise, due to a
particular implementation, it is never necessary to send a message to a
peer that the peer does not understand. The handshake gives each peer
the other peer's version. That obligates the newer peer to conform to
the older (or disconnect if the old is insufficient). That's the nature
of backward compatibility.

>>> Why would your implementation how you threat unknown messages be
>> different for messages specified in BIP151?
>>
>> Because it properly validates the protocol.

> For feefilter or compact block or sendheaders?

Yes, this is the purpose of version negotiation, which is why there are
version and verack messages. And this is also why, in the satoshi
client, two of the above messages are sent from the verack handler. The
feefilter message is sent dynamically but only if the peer's version
allows it.

> You can't link a (unimplemented) specification (improvement process) to
> a protocol version before deployment. Or can you?

I'm not sure I follow your question. The BIP should presumably declare a
version number if one is necessary.

> Once it has been widely deployed, we should set a protocol minversion
> for BIP151, right.

In general you should set a version before it's ever live on the
network. But if it precedes the protocol version negotiation the
protocol version number is moot.

I've been asked to throttle the discussion in the interest of reducing
list volume. I think the issue is pretty clearly addressed at this
point, but feel free to follow up directly and/or via the libbitcoin
development list (copied).