[bitcoin-dev] SHA1 collisions make Git vulnerable to attakcs by third-parties, not just repo maintainers

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:10:02 UTC 2017

>SHA1 is insecure because the SHA1 algorithm is insecure, not because
160bits isn't enough.

I would argue that 160-bits isn't enough for collision resistance. Assuming
RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) has no flaws (i.e. is a random oracle), collisions
can be generated in 2^80 queries (actually detecting these collisions
requires some time-memory additional trade-offs). The Bitcoin network at
the current hash rate performs roughly SHA-256 ~2^78 queries a day or 2^80
queries every four days. Without any break in RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) the
US could build an ASIC datacenter and produce RIPEMD-160 collisions for a
fraction of its yearly cryptologic budget.

The impact of collisions in RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) according to "On
Bitcoin Security in the Presence of Broken Crypto Primitives"(
https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/167.pdf):

>Collisions are similar, though in this case both public keys are under the
adversary’s control, and again the adversary does not have access to the
private keys. In both scenarios, there is a question of nonrepudiation
external to the protocol itself: by presenting a second pre-image of a key
used to sign a transaction, a user/adversary can claim that his coins were
stolen.

How would such an event effect the price of Bitcoin when headlines are
"Bitcoin's Cryptography Broken"? How much money could someone make by
playing the market in this way?

For both reasons of credibility and good engineering (safety
margins) Bitcoin should strive to always use cryptography which is beyond
reproach.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Leandro Coutinho via bitcoin-dev <