[bitcoin-dev] BIP - 'Block75' - New algorithm

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Mon Jan 2 19:01:11 UTC 2017

On Monday, 2 January 2017 13:04:37 CET t. khan via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Thoughts?

This proposal doesn't change the block size, it only changes the maximum
block size. Which is expected, nothing bad there.

The direct consequence of this, though is that the miners set the maximum
block size. Because they decide on the actual created block size.

This leads me to the simple question why we can't just give the miners full
control of the maximum block size directly?

The fact of the matter is that miners have for the full history of Bitcoin
been able to set the block size, until they hit the 1MB limit.
And your proposal keeps that property, but why have a maximum in the
protocol?
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io