[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Classic 1.2.0 released

Btc Drak btcdrak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:15:11 UTC 2017

There actually isn't an activation threshold in Bitcoin Classic. The hard
fork rules are active the moment you install the software. As was noted,
there aren't any release notes, so you can be forgiven for not knowing that
BIP109 support was removed and the proposal rejected. Classic recently
adopted a new set of hard fork rules for which there is no written
specification.

Bitcoin software vendors should take great pains to document software
features and changes from version to version. Bitcoin Core for example,
always has extensive release notes, and a full changelog extracted from the
source code for each version. In the case of consensus rule change
proposals, we follow the BIPs process which exists to help ecosystem-wide
co-ordination. A detailed and complete specification allows others to
re-implement the BIP in their own software and also acts as part of the
consensus building process and peer review process.

There's nothing wrong with hard forks per se, and this list is certain a
good place to discuss proposals, but releasing hard fork software without
establishing community wide consensus and without clearly labelling your
product as such is just not cricket. If I may cast your attention back a
few weeks ago, Johnson Lau released a hard fork client _testnet_ as part of
his research project which was announced on this list. It was clearly
labelled. This Bitcoin Classic announcement was not clearly labelled (and
released on mainnet).

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Chris Priest via bitcoin-dev <