[bitcoin-dev] Anti-transaction replay in a hardfork

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Wed Jan 25 04:03:40 UTC 2017

Yes, it’s similar. I’ll quote your design if/when I formalise my BIP. But it seems they are not the same: yours is opt-out, while mine is opt-in.

However, my proposal in nowhere depends on standardness for the protection. It depends on the new network enforcing a new SignatureHash for txs with an nVersion not used in the existing network. This itself is a hardfork and the existing network would never accept such txs.

This is to avoid requiring any consensus changes to the existing network, as there is no guarantee that such softfork would be accepted by the existing network. If the new network wants to protect their users, it’d be trivial for them to include a SignatureHash hardfork like this, along with other other hardfork changes. Further hardforks will only require changing the network characteristic bit, but not the SignatureHash.

If the hardfork designers don’t like the fix of BIP143, there are many other options. The simplest one would be a trivial change to Satoshi’s SignatureHash, such as adding an extra value at the end of the algorithm. I just don’t see any technical reasons not to fix the O(n^2) problem altogether, if it is trivial (but not that trivial if the hardfork is not based on segwit)