[bitcoin-dev] Anti-transaction replay in a hardfork

Chris Priest cp368202 at ohiou.edu
Thu Jan 26 08:59:27 UTC 2017

> If there is a split, it becomes 2 incompatible ledgers.

Not necessarily. When the BIP50 hard fork happened, it didn't create
two incompatible ledgers. It *could* have, but it didn't. If every
single transaction mined during that time has been "double spent" on
the other chain, then it would have created a very bad situation. When
one side of the fork gets abandoned, actual users would have lost
money. Since only one person was able to perform this double spend,
only the miners and that one double spender lost money when the one
side was abandoned. If there had been a significant number of users
who had value only on the chain that was eventually abandoned, that
chain would have incentive to not be abandoned and that *would* have
resulted in a permanent incompatible split. It was essentially the
replay *effect* (not "attack") that allowed bitcoin to survive that
hard fork. BIP50 was written before the term "replay attack" or
"replay effect" has been coined, so it doesn't say much about how
transactions replayed...