[bitcoin-dev] Anti-transaction replay in a hardfork

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Thu Jan 26 17:41:55 UTC 2017

Excuse me, yes, for previously-signed transactions this is required. We might consider some limits on UTXO-chain-from-before-the-fork-length and likely something like move towards only allowing one transaction per block from the old mode over time.

I highly disagree that compatibility with existing transaction signing software should be considered (but for hardware which cannot be upgraded easily we do need to consider it). Wallets which can upgrade should, as much as possible, upgrade to a new form to maximize chain divergence and are going to end up having to upgrade to know a new header format anyway, so am extra few lines of code to change a transaction version should be trivial.