[bitcoin-dev] Extension block softfork proposal

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Sat Jan 28 00:35:55 UTC 2017

Hey Johnson,

As you know I've always been a rather large critic of this approach.

First a bit of background. Pieter's excellent post on the security of
soft forks [1] covers pretty well why soft forks are preferable to hard
forks by debunking much of the "soft forks are less secure" arguments.
While those arguments apply readily to your proposal, what wasn't
covered are the "soft forks are coercive" arguments. Indeed, many of
those arguments are also bogus. After all, soft forks are not "forks"
without buy-in from the economically relevant community running nodes
which enforce the new rules (ie fork-by-miner-censorship isn't all that
much of a fork at all, and has security properties which I would be
hesitant to use for anything but the smallest of value).

That said, when we start talking about extension blocks, I believe we
start to rapidly enter this "coerciveness" territory. With segwit, we've
seen pretty clearly that the community, much to its detriment, can be
easily made unwilling to speak up for or against a fork, making
consensus an incredibly murky thing.

Luckily, as noted in Pieter's original post, there isn't much harm in
the passive observer not making their voice heard and going along and
enforcing SegWit. SegWit maintains UTXO compatibility and transactions
continue to work as normal, only hiding information necessary to apply
the soft fork's rules from old nodes. This is not significantly
different from any other softfork, where declining to enforce its rules
results in you missing information (only in this case in the form of
additional validity rules instead of signatures themselves, which you
otherwise don't know what to do with). Even better, the bandwidth
increases for fully-validating nodes have been more than offset by other
technology upgrades.

Much of this goes out the window with extension blocks. Instead of the
extra data being reasonable to ignore if you choose to not enforce the
soft fork's rules, all of a sudden a majority (or at least significant
chunk) of transactions on the network are happening in the data you've
chosen to ignore. Instead of being able to reasonably walk back
transaction history to identify risk based on potential
censorship-enforced-transactions (ie transactions in a soft fork you're
not aware of, potentially that only miners are enforcing), all
transactions will look risky. Instead of being able to enforce
fundamental network rules like the 21 million coin limit, you're left to
trust that what is happening on the extension block (which all miners
are largely forced to mine due to the fee revenue opportunity cost).
This ultimately makes it a social cost, not an individual trust problem
- instead of opting into a soft fork's security (or lack thereof) for
your own transaction, the entire network is forced to trust the
extension block.

Finally, this sets us up for some pretty terrible precedent. As we noted
in a footnote of the original sidechains paper, the idea that miners
will start soft-forking in sidechains is a massive risk - it allows
individual large miners and individual economic users to force others to
switch to new consensus rules, with potentially little consensus or review.

[1]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-December/012014.html

On January 26, 2017 4:39:43 AM EST, Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev