[bitcoin-dev] Forcenet: an experimental network with a new header format

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Sat Jan 28 02:32:26 UTC 2017

Looks cool, though I have a few comments inline.

One general note - it looks like you're letting complexity run away from
you a bit here. If the motivation for something is only weak, its
probably not worth doing! A hard fork is something that must be
undertaken cautiously because it has so much inherent risk, lets not add
tons to it.

Matt

On 01/14/17 21:14, Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I created a second version of forcenet with more experimental features
> and stopped my forcenet1 node.
>
> 1. It has a new header format: Height (4), BIP9 signalling field (4),
> hardfork signalling field (2), Hash TMR (32), Hash WMR (32), Merkle sum
> root (32), number of tx (4), prev hash (32), timestamp (4), nBits (4),
> nonce1 (4), nonce2 (4), nonce3 (compactSize + variable), merkle branches
> leading to header C (compactSize + 32 bit hashes)

In order of appearance:

First of all lets try to minimize header size. We really dont want any
more space taken up here than we absolutely need to.

I'm super unconvinced that we need more than one merkle tree for
transactions. Lets just have one merkle tree who's leaves are
transactions hashed 2 ways (without witnesses and only witnesses).

Why duplicate the nBits here? shouldn't the PoW proof be the
responsibility of the parent header?

I have to agree with Tadge here, variable-length header fields are evil,
lets avoid them.

Why have merkle branches to yet another header? Lets just leave it as an
opaque commitment header (32).

Finally, lets not jump through hoops here - the transaction merkle root
of the "old-style" (now PoW) header should simply be the hash of the new
header. No coinbase transaction, just the hash of the secondary header.
This saves space without giving up utility - SPV nodes are already not
looking at the coinbase transaction, so no harm in not having one to give.

> 2. Anti-tx-replay. If, after masking the highest byte, the tx nVersion
> is >=3, the sighash for both segwit and non-segwit outputs is calculated
> with BIP143, except 0x2000000 is added to the nHashType. Such signatures
> are invalid for legacy nodes. But since they are non-std due the
> nVersion, they won’t be relayed nor validated by legacy nodes. This also
> removes the O(n^2) sighash problem when spending non-segwit outputs.
> (anti-replay is a long story and I will discuss in a separate post/BIP)

Will comment on the anti-replay post.

> 3. Block sighashlimit
> (https://github.com/jl2012/bips/blob/sighash/bip-sighash.mediawiki). Due
> to point 2, SigHashSize is counted only for legacy non-segwit inputs
> (with masked tx nVersion < 3). We have to support legacy signature to
> make sure time-locked txs made before the hard fork are still valid.
>
> 4. A totally new way to define tx weight. Tx weight is the maximum of
> the following metrics:
> a. SigHashSize (see the bip in point 3)
> b. Witness serialised size * 2 * 90
> c. Adjusted size * 90. Adjusted size = tx weight (BIP141) + (number of
> non-OP_RETURN outputs - number of inputs) * 41 * 4
> d. nSigOps * 50 * 90. All SigOps are equal (no witness scaling). For
> non-segwit txs, the sigops in output scriptPubKey are not counted, while
> the sigops in input scriptPubKey are counted.

This is definitely too much. On the one hand its certainly nice to be
able to use max() for limits, and nice to add all the reasonable limits
we might want to, but on the other hand this can make things like coin
selection super complicated - how do you take into consideration the 4
different limits? Can we do something much, much simpler like
max(serialized size with some input discount, nSigOps * X) (which is
what we effectively already have in our mining code)?

> 90 is the scaling factor for SigHashSize, to maintain the 1:90 ratio
> (see the BIP in point 3)
> 50 is the scaling factor for nSigOps, maintaining the 1:50 ratio in BIP141
>
> Rationale for adjusted size: 4 is witness scaling factor. 41 is the
> minimum size for an input (32 hash + 4 index + 4 nSequence + 1
> scriptSig). This requires people to pre-pay majority of the fee of
> spending an UTXO. It makes creation of UTXO more expensive, while
> spending of UTXO cheaper, creates a strong incentive to limit the growth
> of UTXO set.
>
> Rationale for taking the maximum of different metrics: this indirectly
> set an upper block resources for _every_ metrics, while making the tx
> fee estimation a linear function. Currently, there are 2 block resources
> limits: block weight and nSigOp cost (BIP141). However, since users do
> not know what the other txs are included in the next block, it is
> difficult to determine whether tx weight of nSigOp cost is a more
> important factor in determining the tx fee. (This is not a real problem
> now, because weight is more important in most cases). With an unified
> definition of tx weight, the fee estimation becomes a linear problem.
>
> Translating to new metric, the current BIP141 limit is 360,000,000. This
> is equivalent to 360MB of sighashing, 2MB of serialised size, 4MB of
> adjusted size, or 80000 nSigOp.
>
> Any new block-level limit metrics could be added to tx weight using soft
> forks.
>
> 5. Smooth halving: the reward of the last 2016 blocks in a halving cycle
> will be reduced by 25%, which is contributed to the first 2016 blocks of
> the new halving cycle. (different parameters for forcenet) This makes a
> more graceful transition but we will lose some fun around halving.

Hum, not sure this is sufficient. Its still stair-stepping at big enough
jumps that we could conceivably see super slow block times around
halvings in the distant future. Maybe instead of 100%-75%-75%-50% (I
believe that's what you're proposing here?),
100%-87.5%-75%-75%-62.5%-50% might be smoother?

> 6. A new coinbase tx format. BIP34 is removed. Coinbase tx may have more
> than 1 input. The prevout hash of first input must be the hash of
> previous block, and index must be 0xffffffff.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but what is the justification for it?

> The other inputs (if any)
> must come from UTXOs with valid signatures. Spending of previous
> coinbase outputs in a coinbase tx is exempted from the 100 block
> maturity requirement. Therefore, miners of an earlier block may pay
> other miners to convince them to confirm their blocks.

Sounds good.

> 7. Merkle sum tree: it allows generating of fraud-proof for fee and
> weight. A special softfork (bit 15) is defined. When this softfork is
> activated, the full node will not validate the sum tree. This is needed
> because when the definition of tx weight is changed through a softfork
> (e.g. a new script version introducing new sigop), olds nodes won’t know
> the new rules and will find the sum tree invalid. Disabling the sum tree
> validation won’t degrade the security of a full node by more than an
> usual softfork, because the full node would still validate all other
> known rules.
>
> However, it is still not possible to create fraud proof for spending of
> non-existing UTXO. This requires commitment of the block height of
> inputs, and the tx index in the block. I’m not quire sure how this could
> be implemented because a re-org may change such info (I think validation
> is easy but mining is more tricky)

If we cant build wholesale proofs, then lets not jump through hoops and
add special bits to build partial ones? Its not clear to me that it
would be any reduction in soft-fork-ability later down the road to not
have this - if you're changing the definition of tx weight, you're
likely doing something like segwit where you're adding something else,
not trying to re-adjust weights.