[bitcoin-dev] A Segwit2x BIP

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Fri Jul 7 22:44:21 UTC 2017

This is horribly under-specified (ie not possible to implement from what
you've written, and your implementation doesn't match at all, last I heard).

> Specification

> The plain block size is defined as the serialized block size without
> witness programs.
> Deploy a modified BIP91 to activate Segwit. The only modification is
> that the signal "segsignal" is replaced by "segwit2x".

This is not a protocol change. I have no idea why you included it in the
"specification" section.

> If segwit2x (BIP91 signal) activates at block N, then block N+12960
> activates a new plain block size limit of 2 MB (2,000,000 bytes). In
> this case, at block N+12960 a hard-fork occurs.

This is not a hard fork, simply adding a new limit is a soft fork. You
appear to be confused - as originally written, AFAIR, Jeff's btc1 branch
did not increase the block size, your specification here matches that
original change, and does not increase the block size.

> The block that activates the hard-fork must have a plain block size
> greater than 1 MB.

There is no hard fork, and this would violate consensus rules. Not sure
what you mean. If you do add a hard fork to this BIP, you really need to
flip the hard fork bit.

> Any transaction with a non-witness serialized size exceeding 1,000,000
> is invalid.

This is far from sufficient to protect from DoS attacks, you really
should take a look through the mailing list archives and read some of
the old discussions on the issues here.

Matt