[bitcoin-dev] Updating the Scaling Roadmap

Chris Stewart chris at suredbits.com
Wed Jul 12 19:19:03 UTC 2017

Hi Greg,

>Here, you admit that the security of the sidechains allows miners to steal
bitcoins, something they cannot do currently.

If I put my coins in an anyone can spend output, a miner will take them.
They can do this today. I suggest you try it if you don't believe me :-).
You have to be more specific with contract types instead of generically
talking about 'all contracts ever'.

> Drivechain is an unmistakeable weakening of Bitcoin's security
guarantees. This you have not denied.

I think this is an unfair characterization. You have to opt into using
drivechains. Other outputs such as P2PKH/Multisig etc are unaffected by a
drivechain output. As Pieter Wuille stated earlier in this thread (and Paul
has stated all along), drivechain outputs have a different security model
than other contracts. Namely they are controlled by miners. I think we can
all agree this is unfortunate, but it is the current reality we live in. I
look forward to the day we can solve the 'ownership' problem so we can have
trustless interoperable blockchains, but that day is not today.

As a reminder, most users will not have to go through the drivechain
withdrawal process. Most withdrawals will be done via atomic swaps.

>There is no reason to weaken Bitcoin's security in such a dramatic
fashion. Better options are being worked on, they just take time.

Care to share? I'm unaware if there is.

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2017-June/014600.html

Everyone should re-read this email though, this is something that could
happen. Paul's design makes it so that if this occurs it is *VERY* obvious.
I guess we can argue if there is any difference between an obvious robbery
vs a hidden robbery, but I think if we have to pick one or the other the
choice is clear to me. Other designs (that I'm aware of) for sidechains had
attack vectors that weren't so obvious.

-Chris

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Tao Effect via bitcoin-dev <