[bitcoin-dev] how to disable segwit in my build?

Dan Libby dan at osc.co.cr
Wed Jul 12 06:17:24 UTC 2017

Hi!

Up to now, I have purposefully been running bitcoin releases prior to
0.13.1 as a way to avoid the (possible) segwit activation, at least
until such time as I personally am comfortable with it.

At this time, I would like to have some of the more recent features, but
without the possibility that my node will activate segwit, until I
choose to.

As I understand it, there is not any user setting that can disable
segwit from activating on my node.  If there was, I would use it.
Please correct me if wrong.

I am here to ask what is the simplest code change (fewest LOC changed) I
can make to 0.14.2+ code that would disable segwit from activating and
keep my node acting just like a legacy node with regards to consensus
rules, even if/when the rest of the network activates segwit.

I think, more generally, the same question applies to most any Bip9
versionbits feature.

I'm not looking for reasons NOT to do it, only HOW to do it without
unwanted side-effects.  My first untested idea is just to change the
segwit nTimeout in chainparams.cpp to a date in the past.  But I figured
I should ask the experts first.   :-)

thanks.

ps: full disclosure:  I may be the only one who wants this, but if
successful, I do plan to release my changes in case someone else wishes
to run with status-quo consensus rules.