[bitcoin-dev] how to disable segwit in my build?

Hampus Sjöberg hampus.sjoberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:39:40 UTC 2017

> I believe that a good reason not to wish your node to be segwit compliant
is to avoid having to deal with the extra bandwidth that segwit could
require.   Running a 0.14.2 node means being ok with >1MB blocks, in case
segwit is activated and widely used. Users not interested in segwit
transactions may prefer to keep the cost of their node lower.

If the majority of the network decides to deploy SegWit, it would be in
your best interest to validate the SegWit transactions, because you might
will be downgraded to near-SPV node validation.
It would be okay to still run a "non-SegWit" node if there's no SegWit
transactions in the chain of transactions for your bitcoins, otherwise you
cannot fully verify the the ownership of your bitcoins.
I'm not sure the practicality of this in the long run, but it makes a case
for having an up-to-date non-SegWit node, although I think it's a bit of a
stretch.

Greetings
Hampus