[bitcoin-dev] User Activated Soft Fork Split Protection

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 04:17:37 UTC 2017

While this isn't an unreasonable proposal, it will orphan blocks from any
miner who isn't running it (or BIP148) by Aug 1, right?  That seems rather
rushed for a non-backwards-compatible SF, especially since in practice,
miners are unlikely to deploy it until it comes bundled with some version
of the Segwit2x HF code.

I realize this is a touchy topic but - how much hard evidence is there that
there *will* be significant disruption if miners simply ignore both this
and BIP148?  Correct me but afaict, BIP148 has ~0% hashrate support.

Unless the HF code is ready and agree on soon (say by Jul 1), my vote is to
keep the main chain backwards-compatible, especially if evidence of miner
support for BIP148 doesn't materialize soon.  It seems less disruptive for
recently-deployed BIP148 nodes to revert than to ask every miner in the
system to quickly upgrade or get orphaned.

Just my view, I respect that others will differ.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:54 PM, James Hilliard via bitcoin-dev <