[bitcoin-dev] User Activated Soft Fork Split Protection

Jared Lee Richardson jaredr26 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:53:14 UTC 2017

> There are 2 primary factors involved here, economic support and
hashpower either of which is enough to make a permanent chain split
unlikely, miners will mine whichever chain is most profitable(see
ETH/ETC hashpower profitability equilibrium for an example of how this
works in practice)

That's not a comparable example.  ETC did not face potentially years of
slow blocktimes before it normalized, whereas BIP148 is on track to do
exactly that.  Moreover, ETC represented a fundamental break from the
majority consensus that could not be rectified, whereas BIP148 represents
only a minority attempt to accelerate something that an overwhelming
majority of miners have already agreed to activate under segwit2x.  Lastly
ETC was required to add replay protection, just like any minority fork
proposed by any crypto-currency has been, something that BIP148 both lacks
and refuses to add or even acknowledge the necessity of.  Without replay
protection, ETC could not have become profitable enough to be a viable
minority chain.  If BIP148's chain is not the majority chain and it does
not have replay protection, it will face the same problems, but that
required replay protection will turn it into a hardfork.  This will be a
very bad position for UASF supporters to find themselves in - Either
hardfork and hope the price is higher and the majority converts, or die as
the minority chain with no reliable methods of economic conversion.

I believe, but don't have data to back this, that most of the BIP148
insistence comes not from a legitimate attempt to gain consensus (or else
they would either outright oppose segwit2mb for its hardfork, or they would
outright support it), but rather from an attempt for BIP148 supporters to
save face for BIP148 being a failure.  If I'm correct, that's a terrible
and highly non-technical reason for segwit2mb to bend over backwards
attempting to support BIP148's attempt to save face.

> The main issue is just one of activation timelines, BIP91 as
is takes too long to activate unless started ahead of the existing
segwit2x schedule and it's unlikely that BIP148 will get pushed back
any further.

Even if I'm not correct on the above, I and others find it hard to accept
that this timeline conflict is segwit2x's fault.  Segwit2x has both some
flexibility and broad support that crosses contentious pro-segwit and
pro-blocksize-increase divisions that have existed for two years.  BIP148
is attempting to hold segwit2x's timelines and code hostage by claiming
inflexibility and claiming broad support, and not only are neither of those
assertions are backed by real data, BIP148 (by being so inflexible) is
pushing a position that deepens the divides between those groups.  For
there to be technical reasons for compatibility (so long as there are
tradeoffs, which there are), there needs to be hard data showing that
BIP148 is a viable minority fork that won't simply die off on its own.

Jared