[bitcoin-dev] Replay attacks make BIP148 and BIP149 untennable

Conner Fromknecht conner at enigma.co
Thu Jun 8 05:44:40 UTC 2017

I don't normally post here, but I'm sorry, if you don't see those two as
equal, then I think you have misunderstood the *entire* value proposition
of cryptocurrencies.

The state of any cryptocurrency should entirely (and only) be defined by
its ledger. If the state of the system can be altered outside of the rules
governing its ledger, then the system isn't secure. It doesn't matter
whether the people making those changes are the ones that are leading the
project or not. An "irregular state change" is a fancy term for a bailout.

I'm sure I speak for more than myself in saying that an "irregular state
change" is equivalent to modifying the underlying ledger. Let's not let
semantics keep us from recognizing what actually took place.

-Conner

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 14:14 Nick Johnson via bitcoin-dev <