[bitcoin-dev] The BIP148 chain split may be inevitable

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 05:23:17 UTC 2017

Ah, two corrections:
1. I meant to include an option c): of course >50% of hashpower running
BIP148 by Aug 1 avoids a split.
2. More seriously, I misrepresented BIP148's logic: it doesn't require
segwit *activation*, just orphans non-segwit-*signaling* (bit 1) blocks
from Aug 1.

I believe that means 80% of hashrate would need to be running BIP91
(signaling bit 4) by ~June 30 (so BIP91 locks in ~July 13, activates ~July
27), not "a few days ago" as I claimed.  So, tight timing, but not
impossible.

Sorry about the errors.