[bitcoin-dev] Drivechain -- Request for Discussion

Sergio Demian Lerner sergio.d.lerner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:54:00 UTC 2017

I'm a bit late to this party. I just want to add that there exists an
hybrid model where both a federation and the miners provide acknowledges
(sometimes known as "votes" in drivechain terms and "multi-signatures" in a
federation) of the sidechain state.

My Drivechain proposal (Feb 2016) was tailored to enable this particular
use-case, which I'm not sure Paul's proposal enable.

The proposal is on this list under the following subject: Drivechain
proposal using OP_COUNT_ACKS

BIP (draft):
https://github.com/rootstock/bips/blob/master/BIP-R10.md

Code & Test cases:
https://github.com/rootstock/bitcoin/tree/op-count-acks_devel

In this proposal, the "poll" time is sidechain-configurable, and I proposed
a few days delay was enough.
Some have said that a longer times are needed, such as 2 months.
So if you want to have a 2 month dalay for sidechain->mainchain transfers
in this code, you still can. However a better dynamic cache of acks/nacks
would be needed. However, for the hybrid use-case, one day is more than
enough.

Regards

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Paul Sztorc via bitcoin-dev <