[bitcoin-dev] Drivechain -- Request for Discussion

Paul Sztorc truthcoin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 16:28:09 UTC 2017

Hi Sergio / everyone,

As some of you may know, Sergio and I each did an implementation of
drivechain. I started working on mine, and he started working on his,
and then I didn't hear from him for awhile about what he was doing.

Anyways, with two versions, we each have an opportunity to double-check
our work. For example, this already happened wrt the "ACK size". Let me
share from his linked BIP:

    "By allowing miners to refer to transaction candidates by
transaction id prefixes, the space consumption for a single ack can be
as low as 2 bytes."

Sergio shared this with me last October at Scaling Milan. After
listening to him, we saw an opportunity to improve our design: now, our
miners can conjecture that miners will grant ACKs in a few simple ways
[always honest, honest+ignore some, ignore all], and it will precompute
these possibilities (guessing what rival miners will do, even before
they find and broadcast a new block). Therefore, in all honest cases,
our ACK-counting now requires zero (0) bytes to be sent over the
network. In dishonest cases it requires only a few bits per sidechain,
because we also maintain a deterministically ordered list, both of
sidechains and withdrawal attempts -- therefore it can just be a string
of binary information. This is not part of consensus, and so can be
further improved over time.

I'm sure there are still a few opportunities for mutual improvements
going forward.

In general, Sergio and I disagree over the withdrawal-frequency. a major
difference of opinion is over the withdrawal-frequency. I view
infrequent withdrawal as essential to the security model, but Sergio
does not. In both our designs, the withdrawal-time is configurable, but
Sergio's design seems to be optimized for cases with frequent withdrawal
attempts, whereas mine is optimized for cases with very infrequent
withdrawal attempts.

Another difference is that, as a direct result of earlier peer review, I
have been integrating 'blind merged mining' into my version. It may be
easy for Sergio to add BMM to his version, or it may not.

It is true that I am not interested in the hybrid model. I would not
make use of the multisig / centralized part, and so for me it
complicates the security properties for no benefit. I see why some
people are interested in it, though.

Paul