[bitcoin-dev] BIP Proposal: Compact Client Side Filtering for Light Clients

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Mon Jun 19 16:07:45 UTC 2017

On Monday, 19 June 2017 17:49:59 CEST Jonas Schnelli wrote:
> Hi
>
> > On Monday, 19 June 2017 14:26:46 CEST bfd--- via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> >> It's been debated if [filtering of] unconfirmed transactions are
> >> necessary,
> >
> > Why would it not be needed? Any SPV client (when used as a
> > payment-receiver) requires this from a simple usability point of view.
>
> I think many users would be willing ...
> a) … to trade higher privacy (using client side filtering) for not having
> the „incoming transaction“ feature b) – if they want 0-conf – to fetch
> all inved transactions

You seem to misunderstand the usecase.
If you send me a transaction, both of use are using our phones, then I need
to be able to have immediate feedback on the transaction being broadcast on
the network.
This is not about zero-conf, this is simple seeing what is happening while
it is happening.

Additionally, when the transaction that is meant for my wallet is broadcast,
I want my SPV wallet to parse and check the actual transaction.
It is not just to see that *something* was actually send, but also to be
able to see how much is being paid to me. Maybe If the transaction is marked
as RBF-able, etc.

Really basic usability: provide information to your users when you can,
should they want to, and by default on.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io