[bitcoin-dev] Miners forced to run non-core code in order to get segwit activated

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 22:57:34 UTC 2017

I could be wrong, but the latest BIP91 implementation (also included in
Segwit2x) cuts the activation period to 336 blocks (2.33 days).  (This has
been updated at
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0091.mediawiki.)  So if 80%
of hashpower is actually running that code and signaling on bit 4 by July
25 or so, then those 80+% will start orphaning non-bit-1 blocks before Aug
1, and we avoid a split.

There may still be a few non-bit-1 blocks that get orphaned after Aug 1,
because they're mined by old BIP141 nodes.  But it seems like very few
miners won't be signaling either Segwit2x *or* BIP141 by then...

Make sense?