[bitcoin-dev] Unique node identifiers

Marcel Jamin marcel at jamin.net
Sun Mar 5 06:29:16 UTC 2017

> This could even come in the form of a Bitcoin address.

Wouldn't this actually *need* to be a bitcoin address that is included in a
block to get any real assurances about the age if this node id? Otherwise
malicous nodes could lie and claim to have seen a brand new node id years
ago already.

Even if included in a block, people could sell their aged IDs (if we were
to rely on those for anything).

Also funding that ID address would might tie your economic activity (or
even identity) to a node.

On 4 March 2017 at 17:04, John Hardy via bitcoin-dev <