[bitcoin-dev] Currency/exchange rate information API

Marcel Jamin marcel at jamin.net
Tue Mar 7 09:29:24 UTC 2017

> Why are multiple results separated by a line-feed rather than using a JSON Array?
> * Clients ought to cache historical data, and using a line-feed format allows them to simply append to a cache file.
> * Parsing JSON typically requires the entire data parsed together as a single memory object. Using simple lines to separate results, however, allows parsing a single result at a time.
> What if long descriptions require line and paragraph breaks?
> * Clients should word-wrap long lines, and JSON escapes newlines as "\n" which can be used doubly ("\n\n") for paragraph breaks.

I'd file this under premature optimization at the cost of
interoperability. If you use JSON, then please use it properly.

I'd also say it's the job of the parser to offer a way of doing that,
e.g. in .NET you can easily achieve that with Newtonsoft's JSON
parser: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20374083/deserialize-json-array-stream-one-item-at-a-time.

On 4 March 2017 at 09:27, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev