[bitcoin-dev] Unique node identifiers

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 11:01:49 UTC 2017

As stated in this thread and as I see it the use of BIP150 is optional,
so if some parties want to trust each others and use it, then they can,
if they don't like it and don't want to use it, then they don't use it

Unless I misread, some statements in this thread involving the Tor
network are wrong, the Tor network is a centralized network, each node
(except the bridges) have a long term identity key and have to prove
periodically to the authority servers that they are the owners of this
key, if not the other nodes will never extend circuits to them, then
they will be of course quite difficult to reach

Unfortunately the original proposal starting this thread seems to be
reinventing this system that probably can only lead to something
centralized which cannot apply for the bitcoin network (the Tor network
is centralized because the team want to control what is happening:
sybils, bugs, attacks, blacklist etc)

Unless some peers/nodes have decided to trust each others (BIP150) I
don't think it's a good idea at all that bitcoin nodes have anything
similar to long term nodeIDs (see
https://gist.github.com/Ayms/aab6f8e08fef0792ab3448f542a826bf , already
posted, not final, not finished, and the title does not really reflect
what would be the proposal today, but it carefully avoids any
possibility for a full node to have a long term ID)

--
Peersm : http://www.peersm.com
GitHub : https://www.github.com/Ayms