[bitcoin-dev] Flag day activation of segwit

Nick ODell nickodell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 04:59:10 UTC 2017

The problem with modifying Bitcoin to work around community norms is that
it's a two-way street. Other people can do it too.

Let me propose a counter-fork, or a "Double UASF." This is also a BIP9
fork, and it uses, say, bit 2. starttime is 1489449600, and the end time is
1506812400. It enforces every rule that UASF enforces, plus one additional
rule. If 60% of blocks in any retargeting period signal for Double UASF,
any descendant block that creates or spends a segregated witness output is
invalid.

Double UASF signaling never coincides with UASF signaling, because the
signaling periods don't overlap. Full nodes happily validate the chain,
because Double UASF doesn't break any rules; it just adds new ones. Miners
who adopt Double UASF don't need to understand segwit, because all segwit
transactions are banned. Miners don't need to commit to a wtxid structure,
either. Per BIP 141, "If all transactions in a block do not have witness
data, the commitment is optional." Segwit is activated, but useless. Miners
who *do* adopt segwit will lose money, as their blocks are orphaned.

Thanks,
--Nick

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM, shaolinfry via bitcoin-dev <