[bitcoin-dev] Issolated Bitcoin Nodes

Andrew Chow achow101-lists at achow101.com
Fri Mar 24 03:38:21 UTC 2017

A correction to my previous email (because people are quoting me on
r/btc and what I wrote was wrong)

This statement is incorrect:

> Given that Testnet has a smaller number of nodes and less difficulty,
this could result in some miners using 0.13.0+ mining blocks which do
not propagate well and thus causing multiple chain splits and reorgs as
other miners find blocks for the same height before receiving a block
for that height.

Miners using 0.13.0+ will produce blocks that propagate well. This is
because 0.12.x- nodes will accept those blocks, and so will 0.13.0+.
Furthermore Core 0.13.0+ will use its outbound connections to connect to
segwit enabled peers so that it will be relaying segwit blocks to
someone. However Bitcoin Core 0.13.0+ will not request blocks from peers
that are not segwit enabled (because with segwit, they will be receiving
blocks without witnesses which are invalid to a segwit node), so they
will not receive blocks mined by a 0.12.x- node. This means that 0.12.x-
mined blocks propagate poorly, even though are valid. Because of the
poor propagation, a 0.13.0+ miner can find a block at the same height
which is more likely to get built upon. However, the poorly propagated
block can still reach other 0.12.x- miners who can build upon it due to
the low difficulty and difficulty resets, thus causing multiple chains
to exist, particularly among pockets of 0.12.x- nodes. The reorgs happen
when either the 0.12.x- nodes hear of the segwit blockchain that is
presumably longer because it has the majority hashrate, or when people
run bridges which allow 0.12.x- nodes relay blocks to 0.13.0+ nodes.