[bitcoin-dev] Defending against empty or near empty blocks from malicious miner takeover?

Nick ODell nickodell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:29:54 UTC 2017

Two concerns:

1) This makes block validity depend on things that aren't in the
blockchain. If you and I have different minrelaytxfee's, we will have
different mempool sizes. Your node will discard a block, but my node will
think it is valid, and our nodes will not come to consensus.

2) This is trivially bypassed. A miner can take some coins they own
already, and create a zero-value transaction that has a scriptPubKey of
OP_1. (i.e. anyone-can-spend.) Then, they create another transaction
spending the first transaction, with an empty scriptSig, and the same
scriptPubKey. They do this over and over until they fill up the block.

The last OP_1 output can be left for the next miner. Since the above
algorithm is deterministic, a merkle tree containing every transaction
except the coinbase can be precomputed. The 'malicious' miners do not need
to store this fake block.

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM, CANNON via bitcoin-dev <