[bitcoin-dev] Defending against empty or near empty blocks from malicious miner takeover?

Alex Morcos morcos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 02:38:16 UTC 2017

Surely you are aware that what you are proposing is vastly different from
the way soft forks have historically worked.

First of all, the bar for miners being on the new chain is extremely high,
95%.

Second of all, soft forks make rule restrictions on classes of transactions
that are already non-standard so that any non-upgraded miners are unlikely
to be including txs in their blocks which would violate the new rules and
should not have their blocks orphaned even after the fork.

Finally, soft forks are designed to only be used when there is a very wide
community consensus and the intention is not to overrule anyone's choice to
remain on the old rules but to ensure the security of nodes that may have
neglected to upgrade.  Obviously it is impossible to draw a bright line
between users who intentionally are not upgrading due to opposition and
users that are just being lazy.  But in the case of a proposed BU hard fork
it is abundantly clear that there is a very significant fraction, in fact
likely a majority of users who intentionally want to remain on the old
rules.

As a Bitcoin user I find it abhorrent the way you are proposing to
intentionally cripple the chain and rules I want to use instead of just
peacefully splitting.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Peter R via bitcoin-dev <