[bitcoin-dev] Encouraging good miners

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:29:05 UTC 2017

Bitcoin chooses the "best chain" based upon the one that has the most
cumulative proof of work behind it. Are you proposing that the cumulative
proof of work be ignored if two blocks are within a certain threshold of
each others' work and if so, the number of transactions in the block / the
size of the block should be used as a "tie breaker?"

I think this idea needs more fleshing out of exactly how it would work,
with careful consideration that adding complexity to the best chain logic
could introduce exploitable flaws.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Btc Ideas via bitcoin-dev <