[bitcoin-dev] Inquiry: Transaction Tiering

Martin Stolze martin at stolze.cc
Mon Mar 27 21:11:38 UTC 2017

> [...] we don't need to implement any kind of special bloated transaction that is only mine-able by some explicit set of miners...  No fork or compatibility problems are necessary, can be completely implemented as an added feature.

Yes, absolutely. It would still be helpful if it is somewhat
standardized on the Client level.

> Re: "Miners": I don't really like calling them "transaction processors" because in bitcoin, every synchronizing node that verifies signatures is a transaction processor.

I agree and I really appreciate the explanation! Transaction Processor
is not optimal, I brought up BSA: Block Space Authority before to
slice the pie in terms of it legitimate power structure instead of its
functionality. I maintain that this is better for higher level
discourse. Maybe something like "Consensus Space Sovereign" would be
more suitable.

> What sets them apart from full relay nodes is they create "blocks", which are "ledger change candidates" that included transactions and proof-of-work (PoW: deterministic diffusion puzzle solutions).

Functionally, a node can moderate the network in the following way:
1. Relay transactions (mempool) and the global memory (blockchain)
2. Construct block headers (PoW: deterministic diffusion puzzle
solutions) and write to the global memory (create "blocks", which are
"ledger change candidates")
3. Read, verify and accept changes to the global memory

> Given the above definition of a "block", I would be happy calling them "Block Producers"... which does not imply that they do all of the necessary "transaction processing": that all users should be fine with running Electrum wallets or even SPV clients.  They produce blocks, but its still up to other users in the network to do "transaction processing": decide for themselves if they want to accept particular blocks.

"Block Generator" (ala Satoshi) may be better but let's look at the
power structure analog to the functionality:
1. Authority to propose a change
2. Authority to approve a change
3. Authority to reject a change

This can easily be understood in current political terms. In Spain a:
1. Citizen can propose to engage in a business (voice)
2. (Special) Citizen (the King) can disapprove of the business (sovereign)
3. Citizen can leave Spain (exit)

Likewise, citizens can engage with the sovereign in order to change
some regulation, say average transaction tax. The question is simply
what legitimate authority a node has. We can map that quite neatly
onto the terminology of 'Politics'.

That does also away with naive 51% attack scenarios and the like. They
are akin to aliens invading earth. Surely it is not impossible that
aliens invade and in Bitcoin land, it is currently conceivable, but
most conflicts are not brought about by a single devilish aggressor
but a special interest group that wants to concentrate benefits and
diffuse costs.
- Transaction Tiering could be a great basis for decentralized negotiations.

Regards
Martin