[bitcoin-dev] Extension block proposal by Jeffrey et al

Christopher Jeffrey chjj at purse.io
Tue May 9 00:56:59 UTC 2017

Johnson,

Yeah, I do still see the issue. I think there are still some reasonable
ways to mitigate it.

I've started revising the extension block specification/code to coexist
with mainchain segwit. I think the benefit of this is that we can
require exiting outputs to only be witness programs. Presumably segwit
wallets will be more likely to be aware of a new output maturity rule
(I've opened a PR[1] which describes this in greater detail). I think
this probably reduces the likelihood of the legacy wallet issue,
assuming most segwit-supporting wallets would implement this rule before
the activation of segwit.

What's your opinion on whether this would have a great enough effect to
prevent the legacy wallet issue? I think switching to witness programs
only may be a good balance between fungibility and backward-compat,
probably better all around than creating a whole new
addr-type/wit-program just for exits.

[1] https://github.com/tothemoon-org/extension-blocks/pull/16

--
Christopher Jeffrey (JJ) <chjjeffrey at gmail.com>