[bitcoin-dev] Some real-world results about the current Segwit Discount

Sergio Demian Lerner sergio.d.lerner at gmail.com
Tue May 9 13:49:05 UTC 2017

This [1] article says the current discount prevents witness spam. Witness
spam is free space in the witness part of the block that can be filled by
miners to create bigger blocks with almost no cost for the benefit a
cluster of miners with low latency, increasing centralization.

The 75% discount does not prevent it, but on the contrary leaves a lot of
extra witness space for spam.

If the maximum block weight is set to 2.7M, each byte of non-witness block
costs 1.7, and each byte of witness costs 1, then a normal filled block
would be 2.7M bytes (1.7+1), and there will be no need to create ever a 4
Mbyte block. The worst case would be the average case, and the transaction
rate would be the maximum possible.

The current 75% discount can only achieve more transactions per second if
the type of transactions change. Therefore the current 75% discount only
makes the block size worst case worse (4 Mbytes when it should be 2.7
Mbytes).

80% of all inputs/outputs are P2PKH. The only way to make use of the extra
witness
space If most P2PKH transactions are replaced by multisigs (typically for
LN).

So it seems the 75% discount has been chosen with the idea that in the
future the current transaction pattern will shift towards multisigs. This
is not a bad idea, as it's the only direction Bitcoin can scale without a
HF.
But it's a bad idea if we end up doing, for example, a 2X blocksize
increase HF in the future. In that case it's much better to use a 50%
witness discount, and do not make scaling risky by making the worse case
block size 8 Mbytes, when it could have been 2*2.7=5.4 Mbytes.

I've uploaded the code here:
https://github.com/SergioDemianLerner/SegwitStats

 [1] https://segwit.org/why-a-discount-factor-of-4-why-not-
2-or-8-bbcebe91721e.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Alphonse Pace via bitcoin-dev <