[bitcoin-dev] Some real-world results about the current Segwit Discount

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Tue May 9 19:42:56 UTC 2017

There is something in between throwing the SegWit goals out the window
(as Sergio seems to be advocating for) and having a higher discount
ratio (which is required for the soft fork version to be useful).

When I first started looking at the problem I very much wanted to reduce
the worst-case block size (though have come around to caring a bit less
about that thanks to all the work in FIBRE and other similar systems
over the past year or two), but rapidly realized that just reducing the
Segwit discount wasn't really the right solution here.

You might as well take the real win and reduce the cost of the input
prevout itself so that average inputs are less expensive than outputs
(which SegWit doesn't quite achieve due to the large prevout size - 40
bytes). This way you can reduce the discount, still get the SegWit goal,
and get a lower ratio between worst-case and average-case block size,
though, frankly, I'm less interested in the last one these days, at
least for reasonable parameters. If you're gonna look at hard forks,
limiting yourself to just the parameters that we can tweak in a soft
fork seems short-sighted, at beast.

Matt