[bitcoin-dev] Extension block proposal by Jeffrey et al

Christopher Jeffrey chjj at purse.io
Wed May 10 01:19:30 UTC 2017

> To make it completely transparent to unupgraded wallets, the return outputs have to be sent to something that is non-standard today, i.e. not P2PK, P2PKH, P2SH, bare multi-sig, and (with BIP141) v0 P2WPKH and v0 P2WSH.

Johnson,

I feel that's not as much of an issue with v0 witness programs. Segwit
isn't activated yet, and segwit-capable wallets aren't as widely
deployed for production. Not to mention, they're all going to require
further development anyway: the address serialization for witness
programs only became a BIP this week. No segwit wallets should ever be
planning to receive money to naked witness programs right now, since
addresses are for it aren't even available.

I think we have the benefit of timing here. The state of segwit wallet
development incidentally creates a window of time where this maturity
rule can be implemented.

--
Christopher Jeffrey (JJ) <chjjeffrey at gmail.com>
CTO & Bitcoin Menace, purse.io