[bitcoin-dev] Validationless mining without transactions

Gregory Maxwell greg at xiph.org
Mon May 15 23:30:59 UTC 2017

Today someone showed up on IRC suggesting a scheme for to improve the
ability of miners to mine without validation while including transactions
by shipping around an approximate sketch of the txins that were used by a
block.

I pointed out that what sounded like the exact same scheme had been
previously proposed by Anthony Towns over a year ago,  that it turned out
that it didn't need any consensus changes, but also wasn't very attractive
because the actual transmission of the block (at least with FBRP or Fibre)
didn't really take any longer...  And, of course, mining without validating
does a real number on SPV security assumptions.

But then realized the the conversation between Anthony and I was offlist.
So-- for posterity...

I think the most interesting thing about this thread is that it gives a
concrete proof that a restriction on collecting transaction fees does not
discourage validationless mining; nor to other proposed consensus changes
make it any easier to include transactions while mining without validation.

Forwarded conversation